Do you ever want to travel back into time? Well you can if you live in Chester County, PA. Just tune into WCOJ (AM) and listen to Ron's Swap Shop. .It's on AM 1420 Monday - Friday 10:00 - 12:00.
Here's the premise:
- Listeners call Ron McNiel to tell them the items they want to sell or items they are looking for.
- The "Sultan of Swap", as he's called, then types the information into his computer.
- The items are then listed online for 10 days at this link.
The beauty of the show is Ron. Ron's not the fastest on the keyboard so he's always asking people to slow down. As people describe items, he'll be like,
"OK hold on hold on..you've got a new Anderson window with no screen?....hold on now..WITH...NO....SCREEN..there we go."
Ron's use of the language is also old school. Instead of "underwear", he prefers, "Undergarments". Priceless.
Here are a few other things. I swear I'm not making these up:
- a guy name "Vic" called in last week.
- Someone "wants beehive and bee keeping equipment"
- a guy called in last week and wanted to have his Audi posted. Ron's question, "now how is that spelled? is it A U D I?"
- Eric called in last week saying that he has about 50 fluorescent bulbs for sale. He's like to sell them all but will sell them individually for 25 cents each.
- Ted called last week told Ron that he does lawn work. After Ron found out that this is Ted's business, not a hobby, Ron said,
"Listen Ted, I didn't know you're a business. I can't put your information up because if I did, all of the businesses in Chester County would call up and this show would be filled with ads. Can you understand that?"
Ted did understand, and asked who he could talk to about placing a business ad on WCOJ. Ron said,
" Oh you can call me when the shows over, here's my number, are you ready....?"
What DOESN'T Ron do.
- Someone wants a playpen and needs it ASAP!
- Someone is looking for deer meat.
- Some lady is selling 20 cross stitch kits. She has to buy kits with larger patterns because, "My eyes aren't what they used to be."
Trust me, this show is pure delight. The only question is when are they going to stream it so I can listen on my computer? Maybe the "guy in Scranton who's working on redoing the website" will move this to the top of his list.
Check out the wikipedia page for WCOJ for more info on this 5000 watt station. And one last tidbit: it's FREE to list items on the Swap Shop.