Friday, August 20, 2010

I'm Glad I Don't Have A Pencil Thin Mustache. Andy Devine.

Here's the song Pencil Thin Mustache by Jimmy Buffet. I never even knew there was a video until five minutes ago. Did you?

I've included the lyrics below so you can learn them and not sing the wrong words next time.
Like you always do. Admit it.

And if you really want to know what all of the references are about in the song, click here.

I've got to tell you that I like Jimmy Buffet and I've seen him in concert but some of those Parrot Heads are complete nerds. Their own unique breed of nerd too. Not all of them, but a lot of them.

Am I wrong?




Now they make new movies in old black and white,
With happy endings, where nobody fights,
So if you find yourself in that nostalgic rage,
Honey, jump right up and show your age.

I wish I had a pencil-thin mustache,
the "Boston Blackie" kind, or a
two-toned Ricky Ricardo jacket,
and an autographed picture of Andy Divine.

Oh, I remember bein' buck toothed and skinny
Writin' fan letters to Sky's niece Penny.
Oh, I wish I had a pencil-thin mustache,
then I could solve some mysteries too.
Oh it's Bandstand, Disneyland, growin' up fast,
Drinkin' on a fake I.D.
And Rama of the jungle was everyone's Bawana,
But only jazz musicians were smokin marijuana.
Yeah, I wish I had a pencil-thin mustache,
then I could solve some mysteries too.

But then it's flat-top, dirty bop, copin' a feel'
grubbin on the living room floor;
They send you off to college to try to gain
a little knowledge,
But all you want to do is learn how to score.
Yeah, but now I'm gettin' old, don't wear underwear,
I don't go to church, and I don't cut my hair;
But I can go to movies and see it all there,
Just the way that it use to be.

That's why I wish I had a pencil-thin mustache
the "Boston Blackie" kind, or a
two-toned Ricky Ricardo jacket,
And an autographed picture of Andy Divine.

Oh, I could be anyone I wanted to be,
Maybe suave Eerol Flynn or the Sheik of Araby.
If I only had a pencil-thin mustache,
then I could do some cruising too.

Yeah, Brylcream, a little dab'll do yah,
Oh, I could do some cruising too.

16 comments:

Jimmy Buffett said...

Even I don't like Jimmy Buffet. But it pays the bills. Whadda ya gonna do?

Dr Zibbs said...

Haha. Whatever you say SM.

MJenks said...

This is actually one of my favorite Buffet songs, so yeah I knew of the video. And lyrics.

But then, I'm a dork like that.

Verdant Earl said...

I've been to my fair share of Buffett concerts. Your fair share too. But I haven't seen one in quite a while. Last one was in Las Vegas back in '06 or '07. I think I'm due.

Dr Zibbs said...

MJenks - You're a dork?

BE Earl - I was thinking of seeing him in Philly two weeks ago but of course I wimped out because it was a "school night".

Scope said...

Like Master Jenks, I knew of the song, video, and have been to many a concert.

And I am looking for my two toned Ricky Ricardo jacket.

Dr Zibbs said...

Scope - I'm gonna have to look and see what a two toned Ricky Ricardo looks like. I'm sure I can imagine but I don't recall him wearing one.

Son of a Thomas said...

My wife is a Buffet fan. I can stand him. Worst post ever:}

Dr Zibbs said...

Son of a T - Oh yeah? Your FACE is the worst post over.

Awwwww yeah.

That's why they call me the Cut Up King.

I just had to defend my honor and do that.

You play with a bullyoung man - you WILL get the horns.

Andrew Rodriguez said...

Ugh, Jimmy Buffett fans, insufferable overweight middle age white couples wearing matching Hawaiian shirts and wayfarer sunglasses, pretending like they are all laid back but the most they've ever seen of the Keys or the Caribbean is from the Lido deck of Carnival Cruise ship when they spent 4 hours buying crap from the locals and swaying to the sounds of a steel drum band while they nurse their Pina Coladas...wow, where did that bitterness come from?

Dr Zibbs said...

Andrew - I love your comment.

Gage1 said...

those last two lines are so extremely laden with gayness (homosexuality, not "gay in the '80s way").

diane said...

I was accused of listening to Buffet just two days ago; the accusation was false. I've seen pictures of the tailgating at his concerts, looks like a total blast.
So, you're a guy without a pencil thin moustache who used to have a speech impediment and who can't shoot pool. Doesn't exactly make you easy to pick out in a crowd.

Dr Zibbs said...

Gage - Ha. It's true. I'll make sure just to only whisper the last lines when singing it from now on so people don't think I'm gay.

Wait. Maybe that will make me sound even more gay.

Diane - Well I will send you my picture if you want. Since you've read and commented on my blog for over 3 years. I've decided to do that for long time commenters. If they want it.

Karen Law said...

Hey Hun! You're gonna laugh but I'm not familiar at all with Jimmy Buffet - only his far distant cousin Warren Buffet! ;)
Yes! I did find your blog through Bombschell :)
Hahah - I do often sing lyrics loudly that well, aren't the lyrics of the song. I've even stupidly done that with some very famous songs until my older sister (who never hesitates at pointing out something "wrong" with me) tells me so (and announces to the rest of people around). Well, good thing someone points it out to me LOL

diane said...

At everyone else: Na Na Na Na Boo Boo! I get a picture, not you!

What? Stop Crying Scope, and get a tissue for Christ's sake.