Monday, June 7, 2010

Forgetting The Name Of Someone After You Hook Up. The Rat In West Chester.



On Twitter we were talking about when you hook up with someone and then you forget their name. Kind of like on that episode of Seinfeld.

How many times can you ask, "Wait...what's your name again?" So I would just start calling them by a nickname after a while. Although I'm sure it was obvious. Who know? And there was usually drinking involved so who really cares? I didn't.

But the worst was years ago when my friend Conner and I were out at The Rat in West Chester. He meets a girl and asks her out*.

Saturday comes and he's on the date. Here are the messages I get on my voicemail over the span of a half hour (note that this happened in the 1730's so there were no cell phones):

Conner(whispering): Jim. Jim. Hello? Pick up...I'm calling from a pay phone at the Malvern Meeting House. I'm on my date with that girl.

Conner(whispering): Jim. Are you there? What's the name of the girl I'm on the date with. I can't remember...

Conner (whispering but frantic): Jim! If you're there PICK. UP. THE. PHONE!!! What's the name of the girl I'm on the date with? My Uncle's at the restaurant and I can't remember her name and I'm going to have to introduce her to him!! ARE YOU THERE??

Well he did run into his Uncle and he had to say to his date, "I'm sorry but I totally forgot your name. What is it again?"

He said the expression on her face was, "You have GOT to be kidding me."

It was their last date.

Smooth. Real smooooth....

*I had a girlfriend at the time. That's why I didn't meet a girl. Just we're clear on that... But come to think of it, I'm the one that started talking to the girl and her girlfriend so....I guess that counts for something.

17 comments:

Jessie said...

Hahaha!!! That is awesome. See, and aren't you glad we had that conversation? You might have never remembered this story!

Dr Zibbs said...

It's true Jess. Thanks.

CarnieP said...

Crazy, but I once had that happen to me! I dated this guy who called me the wrong name a couple of times in the beginning, but I didn't even care because he was that cute. I'm so forgiving.

Anonymous said...

Classic! I think that's happened to all of us before.

Dr Zibbs said...

CarnieP - Was he even close to calling you the right name?

Madtexter - Indeed.

Anonymous said...

No dating horror stories for me. However, when me and my husband bought our first house together, we had a neighbor whose name we couldn't remember. He was super nice and kept coming over to see how we were doing. This went on for weeks.

One night we had a friend over and our doorbell rang. It was our neighbor. I asked our friend to please introduce himself so we could finally get his name. Which he did. Crisis averted.

His name? Mike. How in the hell did we forget that?

Dr Zibbs said...

Stacey - how do you forget Mike?

Who am I kidding Sally? I can't remember a name to save my life.

Scope said...

I've done that, sort of, but it's been when out with friends and running into the random person from work at a bar. Usually, I get arrange it so that the people I'm with introduce themselves.

Unknown said...

omg, I'm horrible at remembering names! Or anything really, I have the memory of a goldfish. hahaha

Gage1 said...

is this the same as being called by the wrong name? I.E. say being called an exes name? Cause that kind of sucks.

The mad woman behind the blog said...

Hell, its not like he slept with her first, right? RIGHT?

I've totally done that. Even carried on a "relationship" for about 3 months. Just said Hey! Kept that one either at a bar where I knew no one or in the bedroom. And who needs names there other than 'God' as in "Oh, God, oh yes!"

Anonymous said...

I forgot, so I offered to help her with her resume...'hey why don't you just send it to me?'...worked like a charm, except I was still confused which name was her first and which was her last.

Dr Zibbs said...

Anonymous - Was her name Mary Chris? Yeah, I think it was.

Tasha said...

Only one guy has ever forgotten my name. So he decided to just start calling me "Jill". I promptly corrected him and he played it off like "Yeah, I know your name but you look more like a Jill..." He called me Jill as a joke after that, and I got him to admit years later than yes, he had indeed forgotten my name. Nice.

Caffeine Court said...

That girl was ME Zibbs and I'm still totally offended by the whole incident. Could you please remove this post? I'm mortified.

AbelPetSupply said...

Who's needs names anyway? It just increases the likelihood of calling out the wrong one in bed. :P

Dr Zibbs said...

Abel - good point. Probably best to call everyone Honey.