Friday, November 30, 2012

Remember These? Sony Walkman. Motorola Bag Phone. Palm Pilot Vx.

What the hell is that product you ask? The Sony Walkman. Yup. I had one back in the day. Pretty life changing if you ask me. And look at those crappy headphones. And carry cassette tapes around? Yeah that was fun.

Oh how far we've come in 2012.

And here's another product I had around 1992. The Motorola Bag phone. Since I was an important, young executive back in those days and had a one hour commute I bought this in case of emergencies. This is how most people started calls back then, "It's me! I'm calling from THE CAR! ....No really. I'm in my car! Making a call! To you!"

Oh and the Palm Pilot Vx. I actually loved this product. I was one of the first to get it at work. Totally space age. Except using the stylus was a pain in the ass. But look at that sleek design. I kind of wish I saved a lot of my old devices but what am I going to do? Take them out of a box every five years and look at them?

12 comments:

middle child said...

I had a walkman. My neighbor had a bag phone. After that you kinda lost me. But I do have and listen to a transister radio. My grand daughter was 11 when she saw it and asked me what it was.

Dr Zibbs said...

Mad Child - the transistor radio! Does it have that one ear plug?

Happy Mommy said...

Did you have the digital watch that also had a calculator, an address book, and a light? Talk about space age - it had a teeny tiny qwerty keyboard on it.

Dr Zibbs said...

Happy - haha no but my brother did.

Furtheron said...

Nearly score a hattrick! Had a walkman but if you walked with it jumped like mad! Had the next model phone one like a house brick! I had that Palm and the model before I used to write graffiti in paper notes! Lol

Dr Zibbs said...

Furtheron - yeah the walkman was a piece of crap. Remember the one that had two headphone jacks so you could listen with a friend? Pulease.

Chris said...

I actually had my Palm Tungsten out at the office recently and felt nostalgic about it for a minute. Blackberry did that device in for me.

I think I just heard my Android phone snicker when I wrote Blackberry.

Dr Zibbs said...

Chris i just read an article about how blackberry users are embarrassed to take their devices out.

Scope said...

- I had a knock-off Walkman.
- Sharp's version of the Palm Pilot (it had a great little keyboard.)
- No bag phone. Didn't see the need for cell phones or car phones. And today, while we all carry "smart phones", aren't they really PDAs with a rarely used phone feature.

But, as the master of cool, I did have those huge construction worker looking headphones with the FM radio in them.

Dr Zibbs said...

Scope - oh that reminds me of a post i can write about bootleg walkmen!

Cora said...

I loved my Walkman.... until it would eat my tapes and leave me stranded with no music. Man, I would have sold my soul for an iPod back then!

Dr Zibbs said...

cora - the dreaded tape eating. It was the worst when it happened in car cassette players.