Thursday, February 14, 2013

Discusting Stink After Opening Up Ribs From Exton Giant. Get it Together!

On Saturday I go over to the Exton Giant Supermarket to buy some ribs that were on sale. I get home, cut open the plastic package and this stink wofts out of the package smelling so bad it almost knocked me over!

At first I thought maybe the smell was something from the garbage disposal but it wasn't. It was from the meat. I looked at the meat. It wasn't discolored. And the sell by date was eight days away. How does this happen?

I pack up the meat in four plastic bags (so the juices wouldn't leak) and I drive back to the Giant to get my money back. And my car stunk so badly I had put a window down. I bring it up to the counter and they didn't even question me about it. But about 10 seconds into making the return the customer service guy says, "OH MY GOD!" and pushes the ribs away.

How does this even happen? Was the meat sitting out for too long before they packed it? Did something other than the meat get into the package? Now I'm going to be grossed out by ribs for a while.

17 comments:

Heff said...

DISGUSTING, LOL !

But it made for a damn funny story.

Dr Zibbs said...

Peeee uuuuuu

Just Keepin It Real, Folks! said...

LAWD, think of the damage to your stomach had you eaten that shizz.

Dr Zibbs said...

Jkirf I know!!

Stephanie said...

That really is scary!!

middle child said...

Oddly enough...I had the same thing happen to me recently. It was a package of ground pork. Most beautiful meat I have ever seen. Yes, it was also the perfect color inside. But it smelled weird. Icky. I thought, "Well, I'll cook it and it should be ok."
I had it on the stove about 2 minutes when I couldn't stand it I tossed it in the trash.
I am curious though...your ribs looked wonderful as did my ground pork. How can it be that the meat was...what?? rancid?

Scope said...

Dude, you got some tainted meat.

TAINTED MEAT

Feisty Democrat said...

Serving up some ribs for some lucky lady? Shoulda just cued up some Soft Cell and lit some scented candles.

Annika said...

Um, never buy meat on sale?

Dr Zibbs said...

Annika but the date was fine.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

That's just offensive.

But, it happens.Quality control is probably some poor schmo who is just punching a time clock.

Chris said...

That's not uncommon for pork packaged tightly in cyrowrap. If it is a sulfur like smell, usually a quick rinse and the smell is gone. For some reason, the same thing does not happen with beef.

If the smell is more rancid and sticks around afterwards, then it could have been bad meat, but typically that would also be indicated by color and texture too.

Dr Zibbs said...

Chris thanks for the tip.

Vapid Vixen said...

What the what??? What a perfect way to ruin your appetite for dinner. I want to know what caused it!

Dr Zibbs said...

Vv me too!!

Suze said...

Ok, that's just disturbing.

Dr Zibbs said...

Yup. Gross.