Monday, February 4, 2013

My Favorite Gift Ever. I Had This Panasonic Tape Recorder. Mayor McCheese.

There it is. The Panasonic tape recorder that I got in fourth grade. Do you know how much use I got out of this bad boy? Here are a few things I used it for:

- Leaned it against the TV and taped the early Saturday Night Lives. Then played the tapes over and over.

- Worked on my early imitations such as Mayor McCheese.

- Attached a Radio Shack phone jack to it and made prank phone calls to hot lines.

- Made scary noises and put it under siblings beds.

- Taped my friend Kyle getting yelled out by his dad when his dad got the $100 plus phone bill for the "free" hot lines that we called. (I convinced Kyle that they were free because, "Do you really think they're gonna charge mental people?")

.......AND MORE!

I miss recording stuff. I think I need to start using the voice recorder on my phone. Maybe to secretly record people. Or maybe just to hear conversations later that I forget about. Like when I'm out with people drinking and I'm being all funny and shit. Then next day I always wake up and think, "Man. I wish I could remember what I was saying that was cracking everyone up."

And below is Mayor McCheese in case you forgot what he looked like. And my imitation of him went a little.... like this *clears throat* It's McDonalds ya know!"

See? I told you it was good. 


16 comments:

Dr Zibbs said...

I would kill for some of those old tapes!! Except I bet they've turned to dust.

Unknown said...

I have a post from awhile back about that same recorder! I hid it from my sister as I convinced her to say the word, "Shit."...Played it for my mom after...with a big grin.

Dr Zibbs said...

Trina - I remember that one but didn't know it was the same recorder!

Unknown said...

This was the primary storage device for my first couple computers.

Dr Zibbs said...

Eric - Really??

Heff said...

It was the primary storage device for my teenaged fart collection.

Dr Zibbs said...

Jeff haha!!! Farts never recorded well for some reason. As I've read.

Scope said...

So, you are going to be wearing a wire? Careful who you are drinking with.

Dr Zibbs said...

Scope that reminds me I also want one if those directional mics so I can listen to strangers

Indigo Roth said...

Man, it's good to see the mayor again. And MAN, you could totally ROCK those yellow spats, Zibbs! Roth

Dr Zibbs said...

Indigo you had the mayor in the UK?

Annika said...

Ah, the early recording devices bring back so many memories :)..

Dr Zibbs said...

Annika I know. I wonder if kids still do this.

Chris said...

My brother got that same one (circa 73 or 74) and thought he would be sly. He secretly recorded the babysitter and tricked her into saying the word "fart". He played it for my mom and he got in trouble for being a tattletale. Ahhh good times.

Suze said...

I loved this post. :)

Dr Zibbs said...

Chris - THAT old trick.

Suze - Thanks.