Monday, May 17, 2010

The Time I Faked Going To The Math Teacher Before School. Stupid.



I always hated math and was always terrible at math.

To be honest, I can't even add numbers in my head. Like if you asked, "What's 49 plus 137?" it would take be a while to figure it out without using pencil and paper or my fingers.

Does this mean I'm dumb? Probably...nobody really knows.

My son is taking calculus and I was telling him that if I was given a year to learn it and pass the class with at least a B and was to be rewarded $10,000 I really don't think I could do it.

I have math on my mind because the other day I was thinking about the time I was getting a D in math so my parents told me I had to go in early to school for a few weeks and get extra help from the math teacher.

So for weeks, my Dad drove me into school. I think it was 9th grade. The only problem is that I hated the teacher so much that I never - not once - went to him for help.

Well one day on the ride in my Dad says, "I'm going to come in today and talk to the math teacher and see how you're making out."

I was all, "No. You don't want to do that. He's always in a hurry and everything..."

"Well he'll have to make time. I want to talk to him."

So I sat there knowing that I had to tell my Dad I hadn't been going in after weeks of him changing his schedule to drive me there. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. So I kept saying, "Umm. I gotta...umm...the thing is...."

When we finally got to the school and parked I told him. And he exploded on me! "Are you kidding?? I've been driving you to school all this time and you never went in?" It's probably in the top five of the most pissed I ever saw him get.

To tell you the truth I forget if I was grounded or not or if they made me really go in and meet him in the mornings after that. I think I blocked it out.

18 comments:

Heff said...

I blocked High School out entirely.

AbelPetSupply said...

I think we're all sitting here, staring at this post...drooling and trying to contain the tics from the horrid flashbacks that was math class.

I. Hate. Math. I limit it to counting money (using my fingers) and hanging pictures on the wall. That's it.

Dr Zibbs said...

Heff - Nice.

Abel - I truelly hated every second.

Son of a Thomas said...

That's awesome. I remember thoes feelings. I hope my kids have them.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Would I be totally arrogant and walking around here all cocky if I said I LOVE and LOVED math and was pretty dang good at it?

I would?

Okay, I won't say that. I'll just keep my mouth shut and dress up in Goth and tell everybody how much I hate it because the famous Dr. Zibbs does ;)

Because I'm loyal like that. :)

Dr Zibbs said...

Shelle - I don't believe you...QUICK 5 plus 3?...

Scope said...

I always liked math. Until it stopped being "math". Trig? Calculus? Not math.

Gage1 said...

Ha I DID dress up "goth" although we called it "Batcave" BAHAHA! Anyway, I hated math and pretty much every other class too, not because of my musical interests but because the school sucked and the people in it truly and honestly were assholes...god, who ever came up with the idea that high school was the best time of your life? It was the worst and was a true relief to escape.

Jenn said...

I sucked at Math! Hated it. I flunked twice in college...the only time I did pass was when I got help twice a week and she gave me a C because I think she felt bad for me. I think I get a twitch just when hearing MATH...GAH!

Chelle said...

I can't even do math on a calculator.

Debbie said...

The kid inside me sympathizes with you but the parent in me feels rotten for your dad!

Fancy Schmancy said...

I'm so bad at math I couldn't help my kid with his homework after 4th grade. Does. Not. Compute.

Dr Zibbs said...

Fancy - Me too.

Mrs. Hall said...

HOLY SHIT!

I'm in awe that you are still alive.

You would have brought the wrath of God if you had been my kid.

WRATH!

J. Hi said...

Bad boy--I bet you sat at the back of the bus with the other bad kids, right? ;)

carissajaded said...

I so probably would have lied about going to my math teacher had my mom not taught at my school.. instead she DID teach there and met with my teacher EVERY day after our "tutoring" sessions.

Dr Zibbs said...

Mrs Hall - I know. Pretty stupid.

Unknown said...

I hate math too. No I don't know all of the times tables by heart. so what. I am a whiz at percents tho because I need them to shop. haha