Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Rino's of Exton. Route 30 Banner Must Come Down, Chester County Wings.



Let me first say that I've been going to Rino's Pizza in Exton for years. It's really good. Great prices. Friendly staff. With that out of the way I will say one thing....

*Ronald Reagan impression* Rino's tear down that banner!

And by banner I mean the one above. It says, "Free Wings!" So wouldn't you assume that if you go in they give you free wings? There is no disclaimer on there. I was in with my daughter the other day and I asked them about it and they pointed to this on their menu:


If you go in on Monday and buy a pitcher of Yuengling you get 16 wings. That's not "free wings!!" It's been bugging the shit out of me. Why doesn't the banner say that?? Are they purposely trying to get people to think you can walk in and get free wings? And I bet some people go in and find out wings aren't free but then don't want to leave since they're already there. Isn't this illegal??

I bet legally I could ask for free wings and they would have to give them to me. But I hate confrontation so I won't. And I'd be afraid they'd get the dishwasher to rub the wings in his butt or something to get me back. You never know.

I know what you're probably thinking, "Zibbs you told people to shut up in the theater and told that guy on the computer to stop eating. If YOU don't stop this injustice who will??"

Well you just convinced me. Here is my three part plan:

1) I'm going to wait a day to see if Rino's sees this posts and take down (or modifies) the banner.
2) If they don't I will call Rino's (from a blocked number and holding a hanky over the mouthpiece) and ask them to remove the sign.
3) If no results I will call the Better Business Bureau.

If this doesn't work I MAY call for a boycott. What are your thoughts on this matter? I will keep everyone posted of my progress in the comments area of this post.

20 comments:

sybil law said...

Yeah - that kinda bullshit. Maybe the website says something?

Dr Zibbs said...

Sybil - Nope. Nothing.

Dr Zibbs said...

... I wonder if Rino's has seen this post yet? And come to think of it if they have and they want to give me a free meal as a thank you for pointing out the mistake on this sign I MAY accept as long as my food is not tampered with.

Probably best to leave me a gift certificate. I will have a third party pick it up. After I eat I will leave the gift certificate on the table for safety reasons.

Unknown said...

Isn't food tampering a given at this point? I'll bet they'll parade around their kitchen with your "Free" wings clenched between their butt cheeks. I think it's possible.

Gage1 said...

Tell them this type of bait and switch advertising is illegal while you are at it. And YES, I'm pretty sure they would have to honor the free wing thing if you made an issue out of it.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-false-advertising.htm

ha, I love this kind of crap!

Dr Zibbs said...

Trina - you can be my food tester.

TC - I will. I'm going to call them tomorrow. I'm getting nervous already!!

Dr Zibbs said...

....and imagine if you're the dishwasher and when you are being interviewed they say, "So there MIGHT be an occasion where we need you to wipe wings on your crack. Are you OK with that task?"

Scope said...

I think the bus boys actually defrosts the wings by carrying them around in the crotch of their pants. So the "secret sauce" is really "secreted sauce".

And totally false advertising.

Just telling it like it is said...

your totally right lets call the Banner police...Just kidding I would have been pissed to. What we have here is a ploy to conspiracy...If you say free they will come and then we can get all of their money. I would have left right away...but not after giving the manager a peice of my mind. I would talk really loud...I'd prolly get thrown out...that wouldn't have been the first time.:)

Dr Zibbs said...

Just Telling - Come own and do it!

Kristen said...

These comments about butt wings are making me queasy, but just wanted to let you know we passed on our once-a-year trip to Rinos b/c it was too far out of the way, but now I'm calling it a boycott. That is a terribly misleading ad.

Dr Zibbs said...

Kristen - too far? it's 10 minutes away.

Dr Zibbs said...

Update of step two:

I called and talked to a manager on Saturday. Some details:

Manager: well we didn't put the details of the wings being only available on Monday and with a pitcher of Yuengling because there wasn't room.

Me: so you don't think it's misleading?

Manager: No because we have a sign inside the door explaining.

Me: But it's not on the sign outside. You don't think that's a tricky way to try and get people driving by to come in.

Manager: no. and it's a really great deal. You should come in.

Me: I'm pretty sure that sign is illegal. It's deceiving.

Manager: well not really becuase if you coe inside you can see details of the promotion.

Me: But you don't know that from seeing the banner. Nobody else has questioned this?

Manager: Nope.

This went on for five minutes.

Time for step 3.

Anonymous said...

they certainly couldn't have spared the size of that logo to put a big-ass'terisk with the caveat attached, right?

Dr Zibbs said...

Anonymous - i know! If course there is room.

Dr Zibbs said...

Step 3 has taken place. Filed a complaint of deceptive advertising with the BBB. Will hear back within 14 days.

KendallJaye said...

FREE BIRD!

Dr Zibbs said...

Kendall - YES!!!!!!

Kristen said...

My criteria is no more than 9 minutes away so have been eating at wawa a lot. That banner is still up (noticed when I went for a long drive) ...what is step 4? Time for it, I think.

Dr Zibbs said...

Still waiting for response from BBB. Will give them one more day.