Monday, May 14, 2012

Do Guys Still Use Aftershave? Aqua Velva. Groucho.

Do guys still use Aqua Velva? Or aftershave for that matter. I don't. But I remember when my dad taught me how to shave and when it was done he said, "And then what you do Jimmy is pour a little of this after shave on your hands - not too much - rub your hands together then slap it on your face like this..."

Below is an Aqua Velva commercial. Who knew there were so many? The one below is one that features a  guy imitation Groucho. Remember when every third commercial or TV show had someone imitating Groucho?



Oh and here's an even older commercial that features the Aqua Velva jingle. Note her kiss at the end. Probably meant to say, 'If you don't use this product you're a homo":



And one more. This one featuring Pete Rose. Yeah right. As if that Frankenstein haircutted Mofo was smooth with the ladies! (see end of video)

16 comments:

Verdant Earl said...

That looks like Betty Buckley from Eight is Enough (and Cats) as the female reporter in the Pete Rose commercial. Wow.

Dr Zibbs said...

Earl - it is her! Right about the time she was in the movie Carrie!

sybil law said...

I don't know about Pete (I do know his SON got a lot of tail), but Johnny Bench was a manwhore. On his powder room walls were signatures of all the chicks he banged. Covered.

Scope said...

Pete would take that bet.

And Sybil, I'm sure there's a joke in there about Johnny Bench crouched down like that somewhere, but I just can't find it.

Furtheron said...

Re the original question - No haven't worn any in at least 15 probably more like 20 years... then I've been married 27 so maybe it is all about needs

Radioactive Tori said...

I know old men still do. When I was in class in the nursing home and we had to shave men they always had us put it on when we were done.

Dr Zibbs said...

Radioactive - that's what I figured.

Kara said...

That Groucho Marks imitator gives me the creeps. And that last scene with him bent over the woman?! *shudder* EW!

Dr Zibbs said...

Kara - Haha. Yeah you know what's going through his head.

Gage1 said...

The bigger question is do homeless boozehounds still drink the stuff?

Dr Zibbs said...

TC - "Boozehounds" Ha!

Gage1 said...

I thought you'd like that term!

Dr Zibbs said...

TC - I do!

Chris said...

I'm more of a Brut dude.

Anonymous said...

Oops, sorry, the aftershave I use is unscented. I might get a compliment that I smell nice, though that would be my deodorant, "Man - uvour". It works everytime.

Dr Zibbs said...

Anpnymous - do they sell that in gallon size?