Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Hot Dog Cooker We Had In The 70's and MORE! Dad Being An A-hole.


I remember when I was a kid we got this hot dog cooker like the one above. It had a domed lid but this is the only picture I could find. You held the hot dogs in by putting them in these prongs. I'm not sure if we got it with those green stamps or from a sales contest my Dad won but I remember that when my Dad took it out of the box it was a big deal. Probably because it was so space age looking.

Of course my Dad probably said, "Now this thing isn't it toy!"

"Oh it's not Dad? Oh OK. I was going to take it up the street and see if anyone wanted to have a catch with it." I think it lasted a few months till someone said, "Why don't we just BOIL hotdogs?"

In my search for hotdog makers I did come across a few others. Like the one below. A bit fruity if you ask me but...


Then you got the hot dog toaster. Oooh broooother! So stupid. "We've got to feed 12 people hot dogs? No problem. Let me just get started here by popping two of these bad boys in. There we go. You don't want your roll toasted? Oh I'm sorry it toasts rolls so that's how you'll have to have it. You'll be fine."



But for some reason I really hate this one below. I can picture the guy getting it and trying to act all cool while taking it out of the box to show his family. Like a big shot. "Now THIS is a hot dog maker. Talk about 'take me out to the ballgame.' Am I right? Hmmm? Hmmm?" (as he nudges little Timmy.)

Then he tries to organize hot dog night in the den but his family doesn't give a shit. "Dad I'm going to the movies with Karen I won't be at hot dog night"

"GOD DAMN IT! Yes you WILL be at hot dog night!...MARY ANN I'LL HANDLE THIS! Just bring the condiments into the den and everyone pull up their chairs while I put my apron on. Jesus Christ!

20 comments:

Gage1 said...

HA! My parents have that last one at the cottage. It works like crap and nobody ever uses it. Even a garage sale wouldn't want that thing!

Dr Zibbs said...

TC - sweeeeeeeet!

Thomas Pluck said...

I prefer a fork over the gas on the stove, 3 am and wrapping it in gummy Wonder bread.

Dr Zibbs said...

Looks like we've got a gourmeton our hands.

Lora said...

I like to split mine long-ways and fry them in a pan. So good.

Or on the grill.

Maybe boiled, but in beer.

Never on these rolly machines. Too 7-11ish

Dr Zibbs said...

Lora- I'm with you. Broiled or grilled.

sybil law said...

I eat like, 1 hot dog a year, preferably at a ball game, covered with condiments so I can barely taste it.
That's what she said.

Unknown said...

I like to sip on hot dog water. Cures what ails you.

Dr Zibbs said...

Sybil - best use of "that's what she said" I've heard all month!

Trina - I rub it on me boils!

Unknown said...

I can't believe you wrote that whole post without calling them wieners.

SoozG said...

You had me at "MARY ANN I'LL HANDLE THIS!" Hee. Almost spewed my CokeZero out of my nose.
Funny, Zibby!

Scope said...

Since it was "back in the day", your dad was right to warn you, since it is possible that they would sell a toy with 3/4" steel spikes on it.

Dr Zibbs said...

Koreen - it was a struggle.

SoozG - Thanks. I was cracking myself up writing this.

Scope - Oh yeah. Lawn darts.

Radioactive Tori said...

This whole thing was hilarious! I'm not sure who decided hot dogs were so difficult to make that they required their own machine to "make it easier". Kind of reminds me of these new cupcake baker things I have seen recently. I already have a thing that bakes cupcakes, and its called an oven.

Dr Zibbs said...

Radioactive girl - I know. I hate gadgets.

Furtheron said...

I think it'll take a while to cook them using the wingnut guys - too far off the heat :-)

Andrea said...

I kind of like that there are hot dog gadgets because I hate boiled hot dogs and my Mom would never have been so creative as to broil or fry them (that sounds wonderful). But nor would my Mom buy such luxuries as kitchen gadgets to cook an item that could just as well be boiled.

Your last bit makes me sad - both because hot dog night in the den sounds rad and that little hot dog cooker is cute.

Dr Zibbs said...

Andrea - Hot Dog night in the den is something that you like? Well spend 49.99 and make your dreams come true.

Jill said...

I don't really eat hot dogs but...well...the penis one at least is amusing. Although if I understand the whole concept of grilling over boiling, it sort of defeats the purpose by having them up in the air like that. I mean, isn't the whole point of grilling them to get those black lines on them? My old neighbors used to fry them inside a corn tortilla. That was actually kind of good.

Dr Zibbs said...

Jill - Mmmm that sounds good.