Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Octavia Spoctavia. Is She Hot? Are YOU Hot?



Someone said yesterday "Octavia Spencer is so beautiful!"

Has it always been like this or are there more and more people saying that everyone is beautiful? And maybe she's really nice and she's beautiful on the inside but come on.

And it has nothing to do with her being overweight or black either. If you were at a party and she walked in would you say,"Oh my God. Look at that beautiful woman!" I know I wouldn't.

And I think it goes the other way too. There will be a beautiful woman on TV and someone (usually a woman) will say, "She's not THAT good looking.

It's kind of like the trend of telling all kids that they're great at everything. Or the bumper sticker that says, "At Jefferson High School we honor ALL of our students." Instead of honoring the honor students that worked their asses off. Or who are Asian. What?? What??

I think it has a lot to do with people who don't feel good about themselves trying to say the less attractive people are better looking so THEY feel better. Do you think?

And on a related note I usually look at someone and then depending on their personality my opinion changes. If there's a super hot woman and she never smiles her number goes down. If there's a woman who is average but she's all bubbly or sexy and friendly? The number goes up. (And into my book where I assign a number to all woman I encounter. Later adding the info to index cards and hanging the color coded cards in my shed*).

What are your thought?

*I'm making this part up.

12 comments:

Dr Zibbs said...

I don't think I expressed myself 100 percent here.

JMUmonty said...

She looks like Rerun from Whats Happening? That's not hot in my book.

Dr Zibbs said...

JMUmonty - yeah you're more of a Shirley guy. WHAT'S HAPPENIIIIIN!!

sybil law said...

I'm in complete agreement with you. However, that lady was so cute when she won, because she was all emotional and whatnot.

tattytiara said...

I first noticed it with Princess Diana. Perfectly lovely woman, of course, but you just knew if she was their waitress instead of royalty the people calling her beautiful wouldn't have been able to pick her out of a police line-up three minutes after paying their bill.

Dr Zibbs said...

Sybil - really? I didn't watch it this year.

Tattytiara - I feel the same way about Princess Di!! Average looks. And they do the same with Michele Obama. AND...they said Chelsea Clinton was a beauty when she got married. They used that word.

Pearl said...

I think we're all terribly concerned that someone will consider us unjust or judgemental or some damn thing.

To me, she is not beautiful. She's a good actress, and I'm sure her family loves her. But she's not beautiful.

There. I said it.

Pearl

Scope said...

I think it's just "scope creep" of the "all babies are beautiful" bit.

Face facts, there are some damn ugli babies out there.

Furtheron said...

Don't even know who the hell she is... I'm so not cool!

From the photo - can't really tell - not an immediate 10 on my rating system that is for sure and I'd say she'd struggle to be above a 7 at best

Dr Zibbs said...

Pearl - you are correct.

diane said...

No, you're right. All of it. 100%.

Dr Zibbs said...

Diane - You're very wise.