Sunday, December 20, 2009

Avatar And My Thoughts Of This 3D Masterpiece.




I will tell you that I see a lot of movies.

I'll also tell you that I'm not a huge comic book/fantasy movie fan but I still see them all.

I really didn't get it when people were raving about Spiderman and the new Batman movie. They were OK but I wasn't that impressed.

But once in a while there are movie that you walk out of and you can't believe how great they were. In the past years, for me, it's been Goodfellas, American Beauty, Waiting For Guffman and most Tarantino movies.

And now there's another. Avatar.

This movie was so great. Great story and effects that are so unbelievable that you can't believe what you're watching! Cameron creates a whole new world. And then they're these flying huge birds and there's these crazy dogs that attack and, and....You just gotta see it.

And if you're not a person into fantasy films or computer animation don't worry. You'll find yourself lost in the movie very shortly. Trust me. It's really a new milestone in special effects.

To see the trailer click here.

15 comments:

Slyde said...

saw it with Earl on Friday.. i'll probably throw up a review tomorrow..

i definitely enjoyed it, but i just have to take a star off for the computer animation... it was the best every, but in my mind its still not to be compared with the old school special effects.....

EARL, on the other hand, thought it was one of the best movies ever...

Verdant Earl said...

Just to correct my hetero life-partner, I thought it was one of the best movie EXPERIENCES ever. The film itself, story-wise, was pretty standard and nothing you haven't seen before. But it was done exceedingly well and the technical end (the IMAX 3D, the sound, the CGI, etc...) was ridiculously excellent.

But yeah, I loved it a whole bunch.

Except for the inevitable failed attempt at the popcorn trick by my esteemed colleague.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see it. I read that Cameron hired a linguist to create a whole new language for the blue folks. Amazing huh?

Moooooog35 said...

Going to see it today.

Better be good, Zibbs...or I'm coming after you to reimburse me for admission.

Dr Zibbs said...

BE EARL - I agree with you when you say it was one of the best movie experiences. At times you really can't believe what you're watching.

Dedene - That is pretty amazing. Great attention to detail throughout.

diane said...

I would like to see it, Cute Hubby already has, but he's not giving anything away. Finding out about the linguist made me think of Anthony Burgess, who created the teen talk in A Clockwork Orange and man's first words in A Quest for Fire. A talented linguist can make or break a story.

The most beautiful movie that I can recall in the past few years is the last Lord of the Rings, just exquisite. I cried at the beginning because the shots were over whelming.

Dr Zibbs said...

Diane - I think I'm the only person that didn't like the Lord of the Rings. It was so boring I could barely sit through it.

Maybe I need to give it another try.

mhawf said...

You're just saying that because the Avatars reminded you of Nana Zibbs...

Dr Zibbs said...

Mhawf - that gives me an idea. Nana Zibbs should be in part 2!!

The Jules said...

Looking forward to seeing this.

I liked your list of films, although it's going to take a lot for me to forgive Tarantino for the crap fest that was Death Proof.

diane said...

Hold it right there Jules, Deathproof was genius that we have not seen the likes of since Prison Girls Gone Wild.

Dr Zibbs said...

The Jules - Death Proof wasn't THAT bad. I liked it.

Diane - You told him.

Dominica said...

I can see why my son is already attracted to those movieposters on the street !
OK, I think we have a winner here ; no more Harry Potter but Avatar for the next months to come !
Thanks for the review Dr Z.

Dr Zibbs said...

Dominica - I'm telling you it was spectacular.

Jill WC East Class of '83 said...

Okay, I'm sold. My husband if dying to see it and I wasn't that into it. I'll tell him you're making me see it and he'll love you forever.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you Yak.