Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Check Out These Outfits From Soul Train. Solid.

You've got to check out the threads that these cats are wearing on Soul Train:



One of my early posts (June 29, 2007) was a clip from Soul Train where I made nicknames for each dancer. The video was pulled from YouTube after a week. I was pissed. Here's the original post. I think it's still kind of funny without the video but some of the names might not make sense. What do you think?:

It was 1974. The dancers were dressed allllll funky and what not. They was doin' their thang. But WHO were those dancers? What were their names. I think we can all agree that it was racism. THAT BLUE YAK will now give these young dancers their proper credit by naming them.

They will now not only have a face but they will have a name. Names that they should where with pride - not figuratively, but literally, on large, bedazzled, name tag buttons. These name tags should be worn at ALL TIMES. Now, enjoy getting down with these brothers as they do their stuff , followed by their new names and a fun game.

THIS IS WHERE THE VIDEO WENT

Now to have some fun. Gather your friends and yell out the names of the dancers as they do their thing. Pretend you know them and you're all friends. Make up stories about the dancing adventures you've all had together.
Did you perhaps solve crimes with your new dancing friends? Maybe you did.
Were you all asked by the Mayor of your town to pitch in and help with the fight against litter? And then just when you thought you lost the battle you guys got the whole town dancing and then everyone learned a lesson about litter? And themselves? I don't know. The only limit to your adventures is your imagination.

We now give you their new non-slave names:

- Slipper Band Man
- Sir Frogalicious
- Bandana the Tank
- Backstroke Afromatic
- Bus Token Scooper Slim
- The Rich Little of Raj Thomas
- Blue Trouser Howser
- Candy Cane Calf Carl
- The Admiral of Cool
- Denim Da Hip
- (WARNING: This is some white dude disguised as a black dude. He has not earned a name)
- Bell Bottom Swell Bottom
- Tyron "Dease coals is hot but dis lady be fine) Lincoln
- Sidewalkin' Ice Guy
- Sir Twirls a Lot
- Goat Leg the Inner City Centaur
- The Butt
- Bizniss Man Tight
- Jiu-Jitzu Jammin' Jim (aka Robo-martial-artso)
- Gymnastic the Bombastic Flim Flam Lover Man
- Brother Soul Sam the Anti-Man

Repeat and Enjoy.

WARNING: Do not repeat more than three times. Do not go into "bad areas" of the city trying to make new "real" friends.

30 comments:

Dr Zibbs said...

And do you see who's at 1:09? Yup. It's ReRun from "What's Happenin'"

Dr Zibbs said...

..And "What's Happenin' Now"

Dr Zibbs said...

And one more thing. If anyone wants to rent one of these names for a month I'll charge you only $5

Just let me know which name you want and I'll send you my paypal info.

Thanks.

Son of a Thomas said...

Backstroke Afromatic. I bought one of thoes from Ron Popel once.

It was crap.

westchesterdead said...

Rerun is wearing the same pants my dad used to wear when he was on vacation - we called them his 'Go To Hell Pants', as in - if you don't like my pants you can just GO TO HELL. My dad was like that - kind of a black socks with shorts at the boardwalk guy. Who knew he was copping fashion sense from Rerun on Soul Train and setting a black socks/shorts trend that has only now become popular (my dad died in 1983).

Dr Zibbs said...

Son of A Thomas - I may take you up on that cheesesteak offer soon if it's still valid.

WCdead - Go to Hell pants. I think I'll be stealing that.

Irenelikewhoa said...

Black people were much thinner then! :-X

Dr Zibbs said...

Irene - it HAD to be the dancing.

Some Guy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Some Guy said...

I call dibs on "The Butt", for obvious reasons.

diane said...

That was some wide tie Cornelieus had on. When Rerun started to grind a little sexy, I got a little sick.
Soul Train was the only place a little white girl like me got to see any cool dancing, but this was not a good example of that. The only other form of dancing I usually saw was by pasty non-talented white teens doing stupid "Marsha Brady" moves.

shrink on the couch said...

Rerun doing the slo-mo in plaid polyester. Those were the days.

Jeannie said...

Everyone was thinner then. I owned a version of every single female outfit. Yup. I really did. I danced like them too. Groovy.

Dr Zibbs said...

Diane I agree. This was not a good group of soul train dancers.

The Peach Tart said...

I used to love this show. I'd make my cousins line upon into a double line and I'd bust a move imitating the moves on the show.

Dr Zibbs said...

The Peach Tart - me too. American Bandstand dancers were lame. Soul Train dancers had all the moves.

Dr Zibbs said...

..And look at the chick at 1:01. She's hot and has the great sexy moves.

If I were there, I'd ask her to dance.

"Excuse me. Can I dance with your date?"

Cora said...

I call Denim Da Hip!

Prunella Jones said...

The 70's look like they were so much fun! I wish I had a time machine so I could go back there and be groovy.

westchesterdead said...

A whole lot of the chicks in that video were hot. I would be all over them, but they wouldn't want to date a cracker like me, unless I was wearing my dad's Go To Hell pants.

Izzy said...

Hard to pick just one name. And $5? In this economy? :)

Dr Zibbs said...

Izzy - OK. For you? $4.

Dr Zibbs said...

OH MY GOD! Just looked at this AGAIN. Look that fool at the very end that was about to go down the line but the music stopped!!

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Dr Zibbs said...

(looks again) HAHAHAAHHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dutch Sugar Babe said...

That slow motion dance is something else. The guy at the very end looks somewhat disappointed :)

Dr Zibbs said...

Dutch DG - I watched that ending over and over.

WendyB said...

I hate it when YouTube fucks up my posts by pulling videos. WHAT ABOUT MY NEEDS????

Girl Interrupted said...

I actually really like what the ladies are wearing, a lot of those styles are around at the moment, they could walk down a high street today and you wouldn't know they were from the 70's ... well maybe the fro's would give them away.

The girl at 0:40 had a great outfit ... that's the kind of thing I wear as pj's ... and the guy at 1:09? Hahaha ... he sure was getting down with his bad self. I felt kinda sorry for the loser at the end ... you could see he was getting all psyched for it and was ready to bust a move.

Dr Zibbs said...

Girl I - Yeah the outfits are great.

Dr Zibbs said...

Thanks Patricia