Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Perfert Heat In Spicy Food. Don Gabriels. West Chester.



Do you ever notice the different types of heat in spicy foods? My favorite has to be the red sauce (or Rojo as the Latins call it) that comes with the Don Gabriel's pork carnitas* (West Chester, PA). Take a look at the sauce above. It's like Beelzebub made it himself.

It's not that your tongue is burning and you're dying for a glass of water - or milk - but it's got a slow burn. The flavor and heat just takes over your mouth in a subtle but overpowering way if that makes sense. It's so hot that when I was eating these the other day I look in the mirror and my forehead was totally covered in beads of sweat, my face is flush and when I blinked? I shed tears! Like a big baby.

If someone came up to my car and knocked on the window they would have been horrified when I turned around. They probably would have thought I was having a heart attack. And was just sitting in my car crying and waiting to die. Eating my last meal - pork carnitas.

My second favorite heat is on roasted long hots. And from my other posts I'm wondering if these long hot peppers are served in other parts of the country because a lot of people have commented that they've never heard of them. But nice heat and they're always a gamble. Some are really hot and some aren't. Depends on whether the seeds are out I think.

And on the subject of the long long hots I can't seem to find the exact kind. I only find the kind that has the thick skin. Like the kind I use to make my famous Dr Van Huesen Sphincter Burners as I wrote about here

And finally, on the subject of heat does anyone have any good hot sauces to recommend. I love Tabasco and not crazy about Frank's if that helps. I know there are hundreds out there with crazy labels but honestly haven't tried many others.

OK that's it. Let me know what your favorite spicy foods are.


*To read another post I wrote about these carnitas click here.

13 comments:

Dr Zibbs said...

Now I need something spicy for lunch. Maybe I'll get some spicy sushi. But it's never spicy enough.

Nicki Elson said...

Is the sushi not spicy enough even w/ the Wasabi? My favorite hot sauce is Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Sauce. I could drink the stuff. And did you know eating spicy foods helps you burn calories while you eat? Nice bonus, eh?

Speaking of spicy, I see the image below and must read on...

Choleesa said...

try Cholula hot sauce. Its more latin than tabasco sauce, tastes much better.

Suze said...

Okay, yer gonna think this is totally pansy but it *is* a hot sauce officially sanctioned by PETS.

I love this in the autumn: http://images.meredith.com/fc/images/2010/10/ss_PumpkinSalsa.jpg

Dr Zibbs said...

Nikki they make my fav bbq sauce!

Choleesa i will check that out!

Dr Zibbs said...

Suze what is pets?

Dr Zibbs said...

Suze what is pets?

Suze said...

People for the Ethical Treatment of Sphincters.

Dr Zibbs said...

Suze what haha!!!!! Did you make that up or is that something i should have heard of?? Laughing over here.

Suze said...

:) Made it up. Been laughin' myself.

Dr Zibbs said...

Suze - well at least explain your cryptic messages next time. Jeez. Haha. Who could even figure that out?

Suze said...

It was a set-up. You played right into my hands. Muahaha.

Dr Zibbs said...

Suze - Like spider spinning a web. And waiting....