Sunday, December 7, 2008

West Chester Blogger Meetup. Good Times



So Friday was the night I told you I was going to meet some bloggers in person. Talk about a great time. As I told you, I knew what JDizzle and Smoochies* looked like but they had no idea what I looked like.

So I'm sitting at the bar at The Note and I see them. I watched (stalked) them for a few minutes to feel them out. I wanted to build the suspense. So I'm just about to go over, and I see this guy that I met a few weeks ago at an event. His name as of yesterday is Swedish Chef because we later convinced him to start a blog. So I tell him the situation and ask if he wants to play a joke. So this is what happens:

Swedish Chef approaches JDizzle

Swedish Chef: Excuse me, have heard that Dr Zibbs is in the house?

JDizzle: What? He is?

Swedish Chef: He is.

JDizzle: Are you him?

Swedish Chef: No. I'm not Dr Zibbs.

(I'm standing with my back turned to the scene. I then turn around).

Dr Zibbs: JDizzle? I'm Dr Zibbs.

JDizzle: Ahhhhhh!!! Oh my God!!!

Hugs are exchanged. I swear that there were some tears of excitement in JDizzle's eyes but she'll have to come clean on that herself (fingers covering mouth) Tee hee hee.

We then were laughing and talking as if we were old friends. She was one of the earliest commenters on my blog and although she said she reads it all the time she said she just doesn't comment as much but PROMISED me she would.

Smoochies was getting a drink so I went over and did a similar intro to her. Same deal. Super sweet and funny person. So the night goes on, we're all hanging out and then they invite me and Swedish Chef back to JDizzle's house, along with the group of 15 or so people that were with them.

And that's when the real fun started. Do you know when you meet people and you instantly really like them? Well this was the case with this crew. The drinks were a flowin', everyone's laughing and then JDizzle pulls out a box of wigs and says everyone has to wear a wig.

As the music's playing, the next phase began. A lightsaber fight. So we're taking turns posing with light sabers and JDizzle is taking these great pictures**. I'll post some when I get them. The only "issue" was when Swedish Chef accidently hit this cool model of the solar system that was hanging in their bar room and Jupiter fell off. Or it could have been Uranis I forget. I shit you not that we couldn't find it. It turned up later. One of their dogs had grabbed it and was chewing on it in the other room.

Anyways, meeting these bloggers in person was way cooler than I ever would have suspected. Tons of laughs. What a great night! And I'm sure we'll see each other again soon.

So that was my night meeting some That Blue Yak readers. And everyone should visit their blogs too and say hello***. And don't even try to bribe them into selling you any of my DNA that may have come off in the wig or on the light saber. I suspiciously saw someone carrying the precious DNA smeared light saber out of the room while wearing cloth gloves. I was very clear with everyone there about my fear of cloning. Or was it clowning that I was babbling about? Who knows.

So who will be the next to meet me? Maybe it will be you..or you......or even YOU!

* That's Smoochies in the picture. They said it was OK that I posted pics but just in case I was imagining that I've disguised her in the photo.
**There was one picture taken of me that you can't really make out who I am and it's got this really evil shadow in it. I might post it when JDizzle sends it. Swedish Chef described the picture as "Bad ass".
***And also egg them on to write a post about what it was like to meet me. Dr Zibbs.

37 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a fun night. I think I live in the wrong part of the country—I seem to miss out on all the blogger meetups.

Chris said...

We've met only one blogger in person but she's turned out to be a great friend, even if Brandi does cheat at Scrabble...she didn't try to kill us in our sleep, at least ;)

Glad you had a great time.

Brandi said...

Pfft Chris,I specifically remember waking up several times in your house scared out of my mind during my first visit! I particularly remember a small Batman under my bed. HAAA - And I never cheated, you guys just weren't prepared for my superior skills after just two games.

Thank you for stopping by blog Dr. Zibbs. I've seen your comments in Mr. C's profile a few times and usually a laugh follows. ; )

I'm so glad you got to meet your first fellow bloggers, I've been so lucky to meet several already and plan to meet many more. You are right about it feeling like you've known them like old friends, because really everyone becomes an old friend. I've shared things through my blog that I couldn't share with people I see day to day. : )

I'll let my lovely cousin know you thought her picture was lovely. Although I shouldn't, she is overly conceited as it is. hehe

And now my comment is done, sorry it's so long. : x

Brandi : )

SkylersDad said...

It's probably wise that I never get to meet you in person, as I would never be able to contain myself.

Ms. Florida Transplant said...

I'm looking forward to hearing their side of the story! Sounds like a lot of fun!

Son of a Thomas said...

Glad it was good times. I was considering attending but my current circumstance makes it impossible.

I remember when I met you. Tears. All tears.

Swedish Chef said...

I think it was way too obvious that if two Jedi's such as ourselves were to tangle with lightsabres the way we did, that universes were bound to be forever altered. Or at the very least, we would catch a dog chewing on Uranus.

It was an epic time running into you bellied up to the bar and meeting up with Beeps, JDizzle, and Smoochies was overall...very BADASS!

Some Guy said...

I dream of the day I get to hear those magic words - I'm Dr. Zibbs.

Someday...

Andrew Rodriguez said...

Ok ok it was a great meet up, but how was the concert?

Smoochies said...

I am a lucky blogger indeed. Good times were had and many drinks were consumed. I'll be sure to share my side of the night but I'll have to depend on you and JDizzle for the visuals since I forgot my camera.

Scope said...

I was talking to an IRL friend, and they asked me, "but you mean, you don't KNOW these people?"

I had to explain that while I've only MET one of you (Gwen), I do feel like I am getting to KNOW many of you.

But to be honest. Your meet-up is NOT the blogger gathering that's on my mind right now..

Anonymous said...

If I heard the words..."I'm Dr. Zibbs", I may lose my ladylike status.

Wait, do I have a ladylike status??

Zibbs, you need to meet the sista's......in 9 and a wake up the sista's will be spending the holiday season together.

Think you can handle it?

peace
#2

Dr Zibbs said...

Smoochies - No pics necessary. My emails are going crazy because people want details.
Scope - I was telling an IRL friend about my blog and he was laughing saying, "and you don't know these people?" They don't get it. Honestly, if someome told me a year ago about this, I'd think they were nuts.
Sista #2 - Tell me when and where. I can't promise I can make it but will try. Would love to meet you guys.

Anonymous said...

What happens when you leave a doctor, a chef, and someone named Smoochies alone in the house with your wife? They find your drag bag and mess with Uranus. I'm gonna buy some new batteries to charge up the lightsabers for your next visit. Good times.

Dr Zibbs said...

And Rod - as for the music. It was great but wasn't there for the last band.

JDizzle said...

Rockin' good times for sure. We simply must do it again. It was good to finally meet.

Now head over to http://hometownhangover.blogspot.com/
for the big reveal!

Miss Alex said...

Hey zibby... The sox has just left you a voice comment... I swear I'm not stoned I'm just totally HULK... :D

Chele said...

I am so jealous of all the fun of these blogger meet ups, so not fair

words...words...words... said...

I was convinced this was all made up. Then I remembered that you're Dr. Zibbs.

Miss Catherine said...

....
I am so jealous.
Can we at least see the wigs?

Vodka Mom said...

omg. I met a blogger, as well. We had a GREAT time!

Miss Alex said...

Wait Wait... i'm so jealous.

1. How were these people chosen to be blessed to go and meet you of all people?

2. Why are they going to you? and you not to them?

3. Where the hell is Westchester. I wont lie... I'm not too far from NY I know it's around there No? I only know 'The Westchester County Fair' hahaaaaaaaa TRASHEEEEEYYYYY

I remember the commercials from when I was a kid... Anyhow How does Dorothy get to meet the Great and Powerful Zibbs?

I want to know I will pout if you do not tell me... I warn you my pouts are in fact cute.

;)

Cowguy said...

Sounds like a hoot, Zibbs. We've owned a couple of online forums for a buncha years and always have a blast meeting up with folks.

Whiskeymarie said...

I need to get out and meet more bloggers.

Oh, and I need more wigs.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you didn't swing by and pick me up. :P

saratogajean said...

Where are all my NC bloggers at?

Meet up!

I'm jealous.

Gwen said...

I'm so glad you guys had a good time. So when do I get to meet you?

Crys said...

sounds like a good time was had by all. where are you anyway? i could poke around your archives looking for that needle in a haystack, but who has that kind of time when they're severely hungover? yeah.

Dr Zibbs said...

Miss Alex (and Crys)- West Chester PA is a bit South of Philly and JDizzle's husband is in the band that's playing. She asked invited me out the last time they were playing and I just couldn't make it. As for me going to them, we live in the same area.
Gwen - we'll meet one of these days. I used to travel all of the time. It would have been perfect. Of courset knowing that when my plane landed it would have been like when the Beatles came to America - that could be a bit frightening.

M@ said...

Very interesting....

Anonymous said...

I'm sooooooo f*cking jealous!! Why don't I ever get to meet any of you awesome people????

Grrrrrr...I HATE being a HOOSIER!!!!

BeckEye said...

I love bloggy meetups. I've had several, and they've never been awkward. Would you like to end my streak, Zibbs? ;)

slopmaster said...

Im never going to meet another blogger... They're way much cooler in their blog. I know this because I'm way cooler in my blog.

Anonymous said...

I'm taking my son to The Note when he comes down here Christmas week. Do tell, where else can I take the 25 year old son? Seems the 76ers or the Flyers are not in town that week.

any suggestions??

Dr Zibbs said...

Bluez - the Note's a good place. Vincents is also a good place for music as is the Spence Cafe.

Anonymous said...

Been to Vincents twice. Food was great, first time the band was excellent, second time it was painful watching four 55 years olds bring there old garage band back together for a reunion. We left after the first set.

I'll check out the Spence! I have a free brunch pass from my welcome wagon lady :-)

Smoochies said...

I finally blogged.