Saturday, March 7, 2009

Chester County Crows Probably Up To Something. Where Are My Hawks?



So I'm looking out my window here in West Whiteland Township (PA) and there are a bunch of crows. They're sitting like jerks on a leafless tree. And do you know what? They're probably plotting to make sure the red tailed hawks that are about to nest stay out of the area.

Last year, we had about 7 red-tailed hawks in our neighborhood and it was great. Once in a while, one of the hawks would grab a baby crow and the crows would battle it. Last Summer there was one time that there were at least 40 crows battling a hawk. And the hawks kept screeching for help and other crows were flying in from all directions.

It was pretty amazing to see. And there's also nothing more amazing then seeing a red-tailed hawk swoop down and grab a squirrel - my personal animal arch enemy.

Anyway. I'm hoping the hawks come back. I might have to harass the crows when I'm in the yard today. You know - like throw a rock at them, shake my fist and give them the evil eye.

12 comments:

skywind said...

Hawks and crows are the permanent enemy. But the eagle and the dove It seems that the enemies of Forever. :)
Health is the Greatest Happiness
The World at The Present

Cora said...

Yeah, I've seen hawks and crows battling in mid-air around here too. It's amazing isn't it? One hawk being swarmed by dozens of pissed off crows. And the noise is incredible. I hate crows. I cheer on the hawks too... except when squirrels are involved (sniffle) I like squirrels, okay? Don't mess with my squirrels!

Soda and Candy said...

I hope you do shake your mighty Zibbsian fist at the crows.

Serves them right. F*ckers.

Jeannie said...

We had grackels a couple years ago that chased away our perennial robins, cardinals and bluejays. My neighbor and I removed their nests from our trees, not too kindly (I murdered a baby). They decided to leave for other more hospitable yards.

words...words...words... said...

Don't birds know that war is not the answer? Stupid right-wing birds.

mich said...

They'll come back, sounds like they'll have an easy time eating crow.

Anonymous said...

EEEK GADS! I'm afraid of birds. They freak me the hell out!

diane said...

Hey, that comment from Mich was actually me, diane "cooking blind". I don't know why his account came up, he never uses it (cute hubby).

rachel... said...

We have a hawk in our neighborhood, too, that we've seen devouring some poor bloody thing or another in the yard. I've never seen it battling crows, though. That would be cool, my kids would get a kick out of that. And I would totally get a kick out of seeing one swoop down and snatch a f'ing squirrel. I f'ing hate squirrels. Especially the ones that chomp our Jack O Lanterns all to hell.

Vodka Mom said...

I'll be right over to help. I hate those fucking crows.


(love the new look)

Nej said...

The size of the crows outside my window at work increases each year.

Last year, a mother rabbit decided to have her pile (heard, clutch, litter?) of babies in the middle of the lawn. The lawn mower guy actually mowed over them, and they survived.

Sadly, the crows started carrying them off one by one. Momma rabbit put up a fight, but was ultimately unsuccessful.

MJenks said...

Red-tailed hawks are awesome. Red-shouldered hawks are annoying as f*ck.