Friday, March 13, 2009

Death. Dave Clark Five. Toilet Overflow. Stories.

So I spent the whole day at my sister's house yesterday. As I mentioned, her husband died two days ago.

There were a lot of tears but also a lot of laughs. We were going through pictures and almost falling off chairs laughing at the great stories. Here's one of my favorite stories of my brother -in- law Ken:

"Remember when you first started dating Ken and he clogged up the toilet? That was hysterical. Ken clogs up the toilet - it's midnight and I'm in the pool with a couple of friends. So I had to go wake up Dad. 'Dad, the toilet's overflowing and it's leaking on your desk (in the basement)'".

I mean water is flowing! He's in his robe and doesn't give a crap that we all have friends over.

"Damn it! I told you and Michael if you have to take a dump to use the upstairs toilet!"

It's a code red so everyone just knows that all of our friends should just leave.

And do you know what? Ken kept coming back to our house after that. It didn't bother him at all. He eventually married my sister and we harassed him about this story for years.

So the Friday Send Off song goes out to Ken. In case you're reading this. It's The Dave Clark Five. Bits and Pieces. A band that came up in conversation with him over the years.

24 comments:

Son of a Thomas said...

Dr. Zibbs. I like the way you roll.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your family's loss. That's a great story, it says a lot about him, actually.

Jeanne Estridge said...

Came over from Chaka's, so I'd at least know whom I'm defending in the blog wars.

So sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. Anyone who liked the DC5 must have been a great guy.

Tenakim said...

that's a great story- that's awesome to lighten up a tough situation- sorry for your sister's loss!

LegalMist said...

I'm so sorry for your family's loss, but glad you are able to remember the good and the funny times!

You make a good point -- life is short. Do fun stuff, and enjoy fun times while you can.

That's why we love your blog, Dr. Z. :)

Crys said...

he sounds like a cool guy, all the way around. may he rest in peace.

Micgar said...

Your bro in law sounds like he was a great guy! Good memories!

mich said...

That's a funny story! Dave Clark 5, yeah!

Asphodel said...

Hey Zibbs, sorry for your loss mate.... sounds like a great guy indeed.

Shawn said...

that's what I want to happen when I go..everyone to sit around and flat out belly laugh while remembering the stupid stuff that I've done over the years.

The LAST thing I would want to hear is a hundred 'what a wonderful woman' crapola. A few thrown in here and there sure, but mainly I want people to laugh.

Shawn said...

Oh..and maybe a few "Damn, she was HOT too!" ;o)

Anonymous said...

I hope people laugh like that when I'm gone.

Michelle said...

Great Ken story!!!

Its good to be able to laugh and remember the great stuff huh!!!

SkylersDad said...

Great family story, and I am so sorry for your loss.

Evil Genius said...

I have had two family members pass in the last month and went home to PA for both funerals. There were some laughs thrown in among the crying, it is necessary. Sorry to hear of your loss, but glad you are able to keep his memory alive.

Sass said...

You reminded me of what I really SHOULD be doing right now...

Remembering happy thoughts.

Thanks, Doc. I heart you.

Scope said...

Sending you deepest condolances and hopes for the rememberance of fond times passed.

Cora said...

Now that's the mark of a fine human being - plugging someone's toilet and still being brave enough to marry their daughter afterwards! Great story, Doctor!!

:-)

I'm so sorry. I hope things feel better soon.

Lisa said...

I can't tell you how sorry I am for your loss. My heart and prayers are with you.

Dr Zibbs said...

Numberonesista - I hear you!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure wherever Ken is, he was laughing right along with you. RIP, Ken.

Spoony Quine said...

Oh Jeebus. That's what I would want to be remembered for; clogging up toilets....

Some Guy said...

That's awesome. I hope when I'm gone that people will remember me with laughter.

T-Bird said...

Always loved that song. They were the original competition for the Beatles. Sort of the establish toffs (DC5) meets the anti-establishment rebels (The Fabs)