Sunday, March 1, 2009

PA Snow Forecast Ruins Roller Boogie Day For Blogger. Roller Skating Onlookers In Tears.

Stupid PA weather forecast calling for snow in PA today. I was totally going to put on a shiny 70's shirt, rainbow suspenders and fedora, lace up my roller skates* and go for some Roller Boogie style laps around my neighborhood today.

And it stinks too because I have a really cool move I was thinking about unveiling. I pictured me roller skating by a neighbor who's out getting their Sunday newspaper, then when they said hi to me I was gonna pull a comb out of my skate, do one comb of my hair, give a wink and say, "Great day for a little Roller B." Then I'd do a mini jump and keep skating my cool ass down the road.

It would have been total love on wheels. Oh well. Either way, enjoy this trailer from the Linda Blair movie "Roller Boogie":



*And for the locals, how many of you went to Spinning Wheels or Caln Roller Rink back in the day? Maybe we skated together. Maybe I even offered to buy you a hot dog or pretzel after we skated. And you said no. Stuck up bitch. You could have been the famous Mrs. Zibbs if you had played your cards right. Instead, you're stuck with that no good slob sitting over there on your couch. Go ahead - give him a kick. Maybe it'll make you feel better for the bad decision you made years ago.

19 comments:

I Am Who I Am said...

I would have totally let you give me your hot dog. ;-)

J. Hi said...

The roller rink where I skated as a kid was torn down and now there is a bank in its place. Bummer.

dizzy mom said...

Love on wheels? I was thinkin' something else. But I'm so ganna be wearing the black and gold outfit (check out 0:25) or maybe the white one with ropes right after it. Damn Z...you are gonna look so hawt!

diane said...

Wow, it's like Dirty Dancing and Hair on wheels!
I used to roller skate every Saturday in Southampton (bulldozed, bank). Are there any rinks left?

Dr Zibbs said...

Just a Chick - Nice.

Son of a Thomas said...

Spinning Wheels. Yeah, that's where the magic happened.

Gwen said...

What would a gal have to do to get a couples skate with you?

Peggy said...

How do you get all this lady love from that?
Maybe I'm Amazed.

Dr Zibbs said...

Gwen - wear something tight but is easy to get off.

Peggy - Cause I'm so fabulous.

Anonymous said...

We went to Concord Rink on Frankford Ave.

Offered me a pretzel? or a Hot dog?? Damn...sorry I never ran into you.


peace
#2

rachel... said...

Spring is right around the corner, you know... No reason to give up your Roller B dreams yet...

This is embarrassing. In high school I won a limbo contest at a local roller rink. This was in the early '90s. Roller skating was so not even cool anymore by then.

Cora said...

*Le sigh* The Roller Rink. Snow Cones, fuzzy pom poms on my white skates, the disco ball, Joan Jett... was there anything better? I think not.

Whiskeymarie said...

I just unearthed my roller skates (yes, I own a pair- they have purple pom-poms with bells on them) the other day.

Turns out my living room is a wee bit too small for roller disco, and yes- I learned this the hard way.

Oh, and- I once dated a guy that had been a competitive roller-skater (couples division). I probably shouldn't be proud of that fact, but I am.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

oh you are a funny man. you just crack me up...

Kelly said...

Awesome! Seeing this makes me so sad that my roller days (as a rink rat) were not this cool. I missed the best time! I just break-danced, with roller skates! Yeah. That's the shit!

Did I mention I did this in the 1990s? I'm so not cool.

Susan said...

Holy crap. I LOVED roller skating every Friday and Sat. nights growing up. I have gone there now for a few birthday parties for my daughters' friends, and I was SCARED. How did my Mom let me go to these places ALONE?

Dr Zibbs said...

PunkyBean - no that's cool...OK I'm lying.

Susan - good point. Some of the places we went to when we were younger I would never send my kids to.

Coffeypot said...

The girls never dressed like that when I us to go to the rink. I mean, who could skate with all the camel-toes around. I didn’t' have enough blood in my head to stand up straight, much less skate.

Shieldmaiden96 said...

I learned to skate at Spinning Wheels. We also went to C & N in Aston, which had the extra safety feature of a downbound flight of stairs in one corner of the rink. Carefully shielded from hapless skaters by a slender chain.

I also remember Spinning Wheels having an organist before they played Top 40, and the yellow sign up front that indicated whether it was Ladies' Choice or what have you, with the round 'All Skate' in the middle. They had good pizza.