Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cheap Trick. Philly Concerts.The Spectrum. Surrender Lyrics.



Cheap Trick was my first concert. I saw them in the Summer between 8th and 9th grade at the Spectrum in Philly with my buddy Flare. I still love the song Surrender.

I was thinking about Cheap Trick because they're touring with Def Leppard and Poison this Summer. I was never a fan of Def Leppard or Poison but since it's a three bill concert, each band will only be playing their greatest hits so it might be worth seeing.

Very interesting lyrics if I do say so myself. To watch the video, click here. But you might want to read the lyrics first in case you're not familiar with them. Or treat yourself and sing along!

Mother told me, yes, she told me I'd meet girls like you
She also told me, "Stay away, you'll never know what you'll catch"
Just the other day I heard a soldier falling off some Indonesian junk that's going round

Mommy's alright, Daddy's alright, they just seem a little weird
Surrender, surrender, but don't give yourself away

Father says, "Your mother's right, she's really up on things"
"Before we married, Mommy served in the WACS in the Philippines"
Now, I had heard the WACS recruited old maids for the war
But mommy isn't one of those, I've known her all these years

Mommy's alright, Daddy's alright, they just seem a little weird
Surrender, surrender, but don't give yourself away

Whatever happened to all this season's losers of the year?
Ev'ry time I got to thinking, where'd they disappear?
When I woke up, Mom and Dad are rolling on the couch
Rolling numbers, rock and rolling, got my Kiss records out

Mommy's alright, Daddy's alright, they just seem a little weird
Surrender, surrender, but don't give yourself away


P.S. I love how the drummer looks like an accountant.

18 comments:

Andrew Rodriguez said...

I was told I looked like the drummer from Cheap Trick....I never saw it myself.....wait....yea now I do.....

Anonymous said...

Cheap Trick did a record signing in a department store here in Melbourne, but everyone was there to get autographs from the supporting band. I was just passing by and had no idea who they were so just walked up and started talking to the guy in the red shirt in your pic. I think it was Tom. The other 2 guys (blondie and bow tie) came over and started chatting. They were blown away that they'd come to the arse end of the world to be upstaged by a pack of nobodys and clearly feeling past it. What's worse is this was 20 years ago...

Dr Zibbs said...

AR - I don't see it.

Artful - that is sad.

Crys said...

those canNOT be the lyrics. NO.

shrink on the couch said...

Cheap trick .. brings back a lot of memories. Never saw them but did see my share at the Spectrum. My first concert was the Rolling Stones at Vet Stadium. Some Girls, I think it was.

As for the lyrics .. this is the first time I've seen them. I think I get the gist of the mommy's alright thing, but I don't get "surrender .. don't give yourself away" .. a safe-sex message?

Verdant Earl said...

I can't hear Surrender without thinking of Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

sj said...

wow. i never realized those words before... and usually i'm all about the lyrics.

admittedly, those white trousers scare me a little.

i bet this was totally filmed after labor day, too.

Anonymous said...

Surrender ALWAYS, ALWAYS reminds me of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" when Damone was trying to scalp Cheap Trick tickets to some poor kid who didn't know who they were. So he sang the chorus, complete with air drums.
Classic!

words...words...words... said...

Go see that show! Def Leppard kicks ass live. And Poison provides time for a lengthy beer-and-bathroom run.

Chele said...

cheap trick AND def leppard, I want to see that. I am one of those def leppard fans. Surrender is such an awseome song

J.J. in L.A. said...

That's a decent song but I bet no one can stop themselves from singing 'I Want You To Want Me' out loud.

mo.stoneskin said...

The indonesian line is class.

Singing along now, can you hear me? I'm singing very loud.

Why the hell are these weidos all looking at me like I'm crazy?

Anonymous said...

They all look a little odd...apart from the one at the back. He looks like he might be hot if you brushed his hair...

Jeannie said...

My first concert was Alice Cooper - I think it was just after Eighteen came out. I was probably in grade 7 or 8...

Sass said...

The hubs and I saw Cheap Trick on our first anniversary. Another band was there...but that's a whole 'nother embarrassing fact.

Anyway...

SkylersDad said...

Remember the old commercial with the drummer doing a duet drum bit with Torry Castellano?

Kelly said...

This is one of my favorite songs! My son even sings it. Mostly "Mommy's alright, she just seems a little weird." Hmm... What's he saying?

Def Leopard and Poison are to Cheap Trick as The Jonas brothers are to Stevie Wonder.

Micgar said...

Zibbs-one of the coolest bands ever! I have a lot of their stuff! I liked it that they didn't look like they rocked!