Monday, October 6, 2008

Bloggers Have Real Life Meeting With Dr Zibbs

Dreams were fulfilled on Sunday as two bloggers met me. In person. That's right. In real life. Here's how it went down:

Blogger: John Young
Blog: Tikaro
Background: John's blog won Best of the Mainline this year. In addition to John's blog, he also does some really cool stuff like the Guerilla Drive-In, where he plays movies from a 16mm projector from the side car of his 1977 BMW bike. He's also invented various techie things including some 3rd party Apple Iphone items.

The meetup: I knew he was going to be at the chili fest because he was providing these cool bar coded interactive tattoos. Mary Bigham from WCDish introduced us and he was a really nice guy. He's commented on TBY and I talked to him for a few minutes. It was the first time that someone introduced me as "Dr Zibbs." He's a really great guy with lots of cool, unique ideas.

Blogger: Anonymous
Background: Anonymous started his blog at the end of August. He had been commenting on TBY and some other blogs and after encouraged by Falwless (then me), decided to start a blog. As it turns out, Anonymous is Robert Henson from the now out of business WCOJ. If you're not from Chester County, then you don't know that he's a local celebrity. He also has a podcast with thousands of listeners. He's interviewed many famous people.

The meetup: He outed himself in the comments section of this TBY post so I knew who he was. So I approached him, tapped him on the shoulder and asked,

"Are you Robert Henson?"
"Depends who's asking."
"Dr Zibbs."
"DR ZIBBS! HOW ARE YOU DOING?"

Me being a really, really, really big deal in the blogosphere, I wasn't sure if he was going to want kiss my ring - you know, like they do with the Pope - so I put my hands in my pockets. I tried to put his mind at ease. Hey. I put my pants on like everyone else. One leg at a time (unless I'm sitting on my bed).

We then hung out for a while talking about various things. It was pretty cool meeting someone in real life that has been a TBY reader. And although he's the professional interviewer, I think I did a pretty good job of steering the conversation back to me and my blog as often as I could.

Anyways, it was great meeting both of these bloggers in real life and I hope to keep in touch with them.

Who's going to meet me next? You? ....You....or what about....YOU?

24 comments:

Gwen said...

How infinitely, positively cool!

Dale said...

That's excellent, I've had some awesome blogger meet ups in the last couple of years. Not nearly as scary as I'd expected.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Zibbs is as cool as you would expect in real life and not nearly as creepy.

Despite the more than ocassional look at the bottom of his shoes and the sudden interuption of complete strangers conversations with a "What's all this then?" He was real down to earth and kind.

P.S.

Despite what you say, I don't feel the exam was prudent or necessary.

Dr Zibbs said...

In response to Anon's comments..in the words of the Fonz....Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Dr Zibbs said...

I mean : Ayyyyyyyyyyyy!

The Imaginary Reviewer said...

I want to meet Dr. Zibbs! I want to! If only to see if the rumours are true...

SkylersDad said...

Wow, an actual face to face meeting without having your people prep the folks first with how to address you, speak only when spoken to, and all that other stuff.

Pretty bold if you ask me!

Dr Zibbs said...

Imag Rev - Some day.
Skylers Dad - I usually have my people prep the commoners but this is my year of getting down with the people. Is that the term that the hep people are using...getting down?

Elizabeth said...

I hope it's me next.

John Young said...

Zibbs, you were too comfortable with me revealing your alter ego to strangers. I was fully expecting to say "..and this is the famous Doctor Z-HUH!?!?" only to find that you had vanished, leaving only a chili-scented eddy in the crowd.

I guess that's how I'm going to remember it, anyhow.

Dr Zibbs said...

John, my staff was to provide trap doors for easy escape. They've been fired.

McGone said...

Wow - Anonymous' identity finally revealed and you just blow through it without any build up or dramatic tension. This would be like Obi Wan saying "You know that Darth guy, Luke? Your dad."

Micgar said...

That is cool-I haven't met any of my blogmates yet! (kicks tin can)

Falwless said...

I was already laughing at the title and the photo before I even read any of this post. God love you. Seriously, I hope God loves you, because no one else could.

Just kidding, I adore you, you precious buttercup. You always bring a smile to my face.

ÄsK AliCë said...

Where the hell is West Chester anyway?

Planning a trip. Randomly. Sometime in the near future*.





*or never. Not sure yet

Chele said...

so when are bloggers coming down to Asia?? I want to meet other bloggers to

Dr Zibbs said...

McGone - I didn't do the huge build up because even though Anon said it was OK to mention his name I was afraid he was saying that because..you know - being star struck kand all. Imagine if you met Jesus and he asked if he could do your wife. You'd probably say yes but reget it later.
Falw - being so Jesusy, how couldn't Gof love me.
Chele - I'll meet you half way.

Some Guy said...

With all the fame and adoration that has come to you, I hope you have some sort of Pope-mobile (or Zibbs-mobile, as the case may be) to travel around in.

Fancy Schmancy said...

I do hope they understand how blessed they are and are duly humbled by the experience.

Dr Zibbs said...

Some Guy - that's a great idea. I might have to write a post about that.
Fancy - I can imagine the excitement of asking people, "Guess who I met? You're never gonna believe it!"

Leonesse said...

I should be so lucky as to meet the infamous Dr. Zibbs.

Dr Zibbs said...

Leonesse - someday. Someday

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

you are heeheelarious...I'm new here...hope to hear fm you too dear!

Charmed*

Dr Zibbs said...

Lenorenevermore - You are totally correct. Smart woman.