Thursday, October 2, 2008

How To Find New Readers For Your Blog


So I'm in Wawa today getting the paper and a coffee and I look down and see the story in USA Today about the top 10 Disney dogs and I burst out laughing. The Wawa girl looked at me like I was a nut. The reason I was laughing was because I was thinking of Falwless's blog profile. For favorite movies she has "Air Bud" and "Kazaam " with Shaq. WTF? Classic.

The Blogger profile* is great though. Did you know that if you click on an item in a profile, it will show you all the other people that have that same item listed in their profile? It's true. For instance when I click the classic retarded CBS Schoolbreak Special "Welcome Home Jellybean" starring Dana Hill I find that only one other blogger in the world lists this movie as a favorite. In this case the blog is "According to Talia." I left a few comments on her blog but something was probably wrong with blogger because she never commented on my blog. Maybe you guys to tell her how important I am. Just a thought.

The other great thing about the profile search is that it will list the bloggers in order of the last post they wrote. This way, you're not wasting your precious blog time clicking on posts about birthday parties from January 2006. Anyways, you might want to give the profile search a shot. I've been using it to find other bloggers that are similar to me. Did you know that there are 307 bloggers whose interests include "Making Fun of People?" Well, 308 if you include me. Don't believe me? Go to my profile and see for yourself.

*One thing I don't know how to do is search profiles if the item is not in my profile. For instance I have West Chester in my profile and I can click on it to see other bloggers from West Chester. How would I search for people that have blogs from Downingtown, Malvern and other towns? Please let me know.

29 comments:

Falwless said...

I still think Air Bud deserved at least 3 or 4 Oscar noms. Suck it, Academy.

Verdant Earl said...

Hey, my girlfriend was just in Downingtown a couple of weeks ago. She took part in the Master Brewers course at Victory Brewing.

And Kazaam rocked!

BeckEye said...

Ah, Welcome Home Jellybean. What a blast from the past.

Anonymous said...

I love Wawa. Damn good coffee and have you notice they always have good music piped in. I asked once if there was a wawa cd.

#1

Gwen said...

I suppose you could add those items to your profile, do your searching, and then delete them? I'm sure there's an easier way but I'm too lazy to go figure it out for you right now.

I messed around with this once and after about 2 hours I realized my interest had devolved into trolling for hotty bloggers in STL. I was shocked by my previously unknown predatory nature so I never went back.

Chele said...

one of my interests listed is vodka, I share that with 1800 others

though I only share home made movies as an interest with 2 other people...

mcglinch said...

when you click "West Chester" in your profile, look at the URL (please don't ask me to explain that.

Where you see "West+Chester" just change it to "Downingtown" or "Malvern" or "Paoli" or whatever and hit enter, press GO, etc.

But note that you'd also need to change the state value in the url to "PA" to "DE" if you want to search for "Wilmington".

I look forward to seeing you try this out in the Exton Chester County Library with all kinds of pieces of paper for every town crumpled up all over a table, several broken pencils, and lots of eraser shavings all over. And lots of sweat on that wrinkled brow of yours.

Slyde said...

yeah, ive used that feature for ages... its neat! I was able to find a few local (like around the corner from me) bloggers that way.

Falwless said...

McGlinch's comment for the win. I can't stop laughing picturing that.

Dr Zibbs said...

B.E.Earl - I had no idea that Victory Brewery had a masters brewer course!
Gwen - Thanks - McGlinch (even though furious) left me instructions.
Chele - thanks for stopping back.
Slyde - that's what I want to use it for. Finding bloggers to stalk that are all over the world is getting a bit pricey.

Dr Zibbs said...

Falwless at least when YOU help me with computer issues you're nice. McGlinch is explainingit but he's already getting frustrated. I guess I know who my real friends are.

dmb5_libra said...

no one has "french toast alert" as an interest on blogger :(

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Talia said...

Hi! Comments weren't broken, and I actually read your blog as soon as you left me a comment and I made a mental note to come back and say hi, but I totally forgot so I'm glad you reminded me :)

I hardly remember that movie except that I saw it at least twice as a child, and liked it, I guess? I listed it in my favorite movies because I think the title is hilarious, and its even sillier that I remember the name of the movie but nothing substantive from the movie. (wasn't it about a guy and his...um...mentally challenged little sister?)

Anyway...HI! I'm not rude, just forgetful, promise!

Dr Zibbs said...

Talia - thanks for stopping by and yes - you're correct about what the movie is about.

Jennifer and Sandi said...

I don't see our profile listed on yours. I LOVE BEER BEER BEER!!!!

*Tink*

HAPPY THURSDAY!!!

- Jennifer

Leonesse said...

I love beer too. Who'da thunk it?

Whiskeymarie said...

Oddly enough, only 17 other bloggers share my interest in underpants, but 105 enjoy toes as much as I do, and 606 feel strongly enough about squirrels to list them as an interest.

Dr Zibbs said...

Whiskey - only 17 other pervs are into underpants? Maybe there is a God. Oh yeah - there's not.

J. Hi said...

Ok, Zibbs. I went to your profile and tried it and it was kind of horrifying. I clicked on "Gettin it on" and found two bloggers. The first one was Queen of the Slammed whose interests include fried chicken, flavored condoms,and your dad. And the second one was Candyce who enjoyed sewing, dumpster diving, girl gangs, switchblade knives, and knitting.

I should have started with something more innocuous like Zippo lighters.

Dr Zibbs said...

J.Hi - Isn't it weird that freaky people and me share some of the same interests?

Vodka Mom said...

I really DO learn something new every day. huh. I'm off to try this!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sadly, no one likes judging people by their poor grammar, or complaining about Fat America with me.

Dr Zibbs said...

Vodka Mom - that's what this blog is all about: Teaching, Funny stuff and Lupus.
Kimmie - I like to make fun of fat America more than I like to complain about it.

words...words...words... said...

I miss Wawa. I'd step on my own mother's throat for a Wawa hoagie right now.

And like Kimmie, I enjoy judging people by their poor grammar. But not as much as I do for their poor spelling, as evidenced by my latest entry.

Anonymous said...

Oh spelling! Another post. I have a bad obsession with proofreading menus.

ÄsK AliCë said...

I proofread the newspaper - they're awful!

Chris said...

For the record, my birthday in 2006 rocked.

Micgar said...

I don't know about the other towns thing, but can you tell me how to find other blogs that specialize in pee buckets?